Does Block Of Flats Insurance Cover Escape Of Water?

‘Escape of water’ is a common component of many buildings’ insurance policies, and given the frequency of this type of claim in flat blocks, it is important to make sure it’s included in your insurance for blocks of flats. It is usually covered as a standard feature of your policy.

Despite it being a common feature of insurance policies, many still don’t know exactly what ‘escape of water’ means and what to do if you have to make a claim. In this blog, we will explain exactly what escape of water is, and how it affects your flats insurance.

Looking for more information on insurance for blocks of flats? Our website has plenty of resources to help.

What is ‘escape of water’?

‘Escape of water’ is one of the most common reasons for claims on domestic insurance policies, and it is unfortunately a problem many of us may face.

‘Escape of water’ refers to damage to a property caused by water that originates in or around the property (this is not the same as local flooding). This can range from burst pipes to an overflowing toilet. There are many different possible causes for escape of water damage, but the factor that links them is that the water originates from the mains water supply for the property.

How does ‘escape of water’ affect flats insurance?

If you’re a landlord or freeholder of a block of flats, having comprehensive buildings insurance for your block of flats is vital. You need to know that your investment – and your occupants – are safe and protected against the unexpected.

While there are many things you can do to protect your block from escape of water – such as regularly checking for leaks or maintaining your pipes should they freeze in winter – sometimes these things happen. And in the event you experience escape of water damage, you need to know you’re covered.

One of the most common reasons for escape of water claims is due to splitting plastic, push-fit pipework that has become standard in modern building methods. Plastic pipework is more susceptible to splitting or cracking than copper pipework. The damage that water can cause to a property can be devastating and the costs of repair can quickly rack up to a significant number. 

As stated earlier, the likelihood is that ‘escape of water’ is covered in your flats insurance. However, it is always worth checking with your block of flats insurance broker what exactly you are covered for in this instance. For example, covering the cost of escape of water damage and repair of the area is usually covered as standard. What may not be included is covering the cost of finding the source of the leak – also called ‘trace and access’ – to prevent it from happening again. You might also need to find alternative accommodation in the period that repairs are being undertaken, so please make sure you ask about this too.

This is why it’s important that you know exactly what kind of cover you have and find the best deal that covers your block of flats.

At Flats Direct, we provide quality advice and can help find you the best comprehensive block of flats insurance. Our team of experienced and respected building insurance brokers are on hand to answer any questions you have. To get a free quote, get in touch via our contact form, call us on 0800 731 6242 or email